Friday, May 20, 2011

I'm Going to Work My Ticket if I Can

I posted this on my other blog a few weeks ago. Each of the training topics I discuss below will be posted here.
Wood Badge AntelopeI finished Wood Badge last Saturday, and I gottatellya, it's one of the most worthwhile things I've done in a very long time. I'm glad I made my ward send me. I'm really excited to start working my ticket. By the way, the Antelopes' rocket had a hang time of 13.01 seconds!

One of my ticket items is to train my local unit leaders, because in Utah either (a) "I've been set apart and I don't need no stinkin' training," (b) "I was a Scout once and I don't need no stinkin' training" or (c) "the Church is going to abandon Scouts in three years anyway, so I don't need no stinkin' training." Actually, I don't see those attitudes in my ward, but no one is actually trained in what Scouting is all about. Did you know that Eagle is just a means to an end? And that that end isn't a driver's license? Life after Eagle? Really? So I'm going to give 12 training sessions in Scout Committee meeting over the next year since they'll be a captive audience; I've even invited the cub and primary leaders, via the bishopric so they can't wiggle out of it.

Another item is to 'invite' all the groups in my ward to plan and carry out a conservation project, or even set a goal that everyone earn the world conservation award. Let the herding of cats begin![August 22, 2011: I revised my ticket with the goal of registering and training all the ward's merit badge counselor volunteers. See my post of August 16, 2011.]

My diversity/360 item is to bring the interfaith aspect home to the LDS troops in our area. Since nearly no scout in this area will ever see an interfaith worship service, but we're preparing them all to go into the world to be missionaries, I'll do a roundtable presenation on participatory worship traditions, like responsive readings, communal prayer and such, and I'll emphasize that it's to make our boys into more empathetic missionaries, who understand and respect the traditions of others, rather than dismiss them outright like I did. ("They say the same prayer over and over and over, and we do it the Right Way" instead of trying to understand what those traditions mean to those who love them.)

I gave myself a short-term goal as well, fully implementing the patrol method in my own efforts. Last week, we elected a new 11YO patrol leader. I now intend that he do more than just call and remind everyone about stuff; this week, everyone else recieved a new patrol resonsibility like APL, Scribe, Quartermaster, Grubmaster, etc. They even got job descriptions, so it's not just another patch to wear. We discussed that a patrol is a team, everyone is necessary and important; how a violin can't do the flute's job, or a point guard can't do the center's job, and lead actor needs the whole cast to carry the play. Everyone is unique and brings their personality and skills to the table, and because of this they're stronger. If I can get them to interalize this at 11, and guide them as they plan and work things out together, they'll be able to make a real difference later on.

Fifth is to be a better husband and dad. This one is the most important goal I have set for myself, and the most ambitious. Mostly because it requires the most personal change and effort. Totally worth it, though. I started by showing B how to make a woggle.

I've buit a Ticket Action Plan for each item that lays out the process and timeline I'll use, with definite milestones to reach, for each ticket item. Add to this that I plan to re-start my MBA in the fall, and I've got a busy couple of years ahead of me.

I've made it public. Now I'm committed. Or I should be...
Originally published on Fart Proudly, May 20, 2011

No comments: