Thursday, November 17, 2011

What a difference a plan makes!

We had a great patrol meeting last night. It was one boy’s last, and another’s first, in the EYOS patrol. We had a PL election, resulting in a tie vote (very easy when there are four boys), two Scoutmaster conferences (2Class and Scout), boy-led instruction and practice with lashings, and most importantly, we went outside to race around with the A-frame they built to demonstrate why your lashings (and the other things you do, whether school, football, band…) need to be done right. On Saturday, they'll build a water balloon catapult and see just how mad their lashing skillz are. It would not have happened so well without the Troop Meeting Plan worksheet*. I filled it in at work that afternoon (this job will transfer to the new PL soon enough) with events, supplies, &ct., followed it, and easily met all the meeting’s objectives.

We started off the meeting talking about planning, and I told them about one of my favorite Air Force aphorisms: “If you fail to plan, you plan to fail” (I didn't use a more colorful example from The Hunt for Red October). The meeting ended with a Scoutmaster’s Minute using Chesterton's dragon quote. It was a very successful hour and a half. And everyone got home on time.

Then I replaced my failing water heater with my father-in-law’s help. Successfully, too. I had a hot shower this morning!

*A note on the meeting plan: I didn't make this one, it's just the one I use, and then only as a rough guide to stay on track and ensure I've thought everything through and gathered my supplies. I won't fill in every line item. Another AF aphorism is "flexibility is the key to air power."

1 comment:

Fishgutts said...

You are a busy dude! What a great example you started for your boys!