Monday, December 19, 2011

Wild Life

One thing I've really enjoyed about my involvement with Scouting is the chance to get out with my camera - I wouldn't get any opportunities like this otherwise.

On Saturday, we went to the Farmington Bay Waterfowl Management Area near my home (only 5 miles away!) to see what we could see. What a great place to find evidence of ten wild animals, or ten native plant species (2C#6 adn 1C#6). I didn't know this resource existed until a few weeks ago. What hidden gems have you discovered within just a few miles of your front door? Here's what we saw during about three hours in the cold:  Several bird species, including hawks, owls (a pellet, anyway) meadowlarks, ducks, pheasants and a raven, a magpie, finches, plus plenty of small birds whose names I just don't know; lots of tracks in the snow of raccoons, skunk, fox, feral cat, and rodents, and the piéce de résistance, three or four American Bald Eagles. I need to invest in a good long telephoto.

Eagles and other stuff
Shot on my Pentax K7 DSLR with a Sigma 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 lens.

That's it - I'm taking a Scouting Break until January. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, everyone.

No comments: