Friday, November 2, 2012

Can't complain

B playing in his first band concert
After my oldest finished school last spring, he announced that he wanted to play the french horn and be in the band in Jr. High. He did this all on his own initiative, and under no pressure nor influence from me or my wife - it was a bolt out of the blue. Now, I'm not going to go so far as to say that this decision can be attributed to Scouting, but I am pleased to have seen him make his own decision. I gotta say, I was pretty floored by his announcement. He now practices every day, and enjoys the camaraderie of fellow band members. The challenge will be to encourage him in this, while encouraging his Scouting progress, as well encouraging him to continue his Tae Kwon Do, which he hasn't touched since he earned his black belt in June. But since progress is measured in character and not in patches, this is a great step on the path to adulthood - making a decision, and sticking with it. It was a joy to watch him perform for the first time last night.

Also, I can't complain so much about the multiple draws on a kid's time and the interests they pursue, not if I want my own kids to be well-rounded.

Prepared. | For Life.™

No comments: