Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Scoutmaster Minute - Loyalty

Two famous generals of the Civil War were Ulysses S. Grant and William T. Sherman. Grant, though the younger of the two, and junior to him at West Point, was Sherman’s Commander. As general of the Union Army, Grant commanded several other generals, but he knew that he could trust Sherman with the most difficult tasks. While some Generals needed line-by-line instructions, Sherman only needed to know the objective. Grant could trust him with the details of getting the job done. Grant knew that the only thing to prevent Sherman’s completing the task was a musket ball with Sherman’s name on it.

That musket ball didn’t exist. Sherman finished his difficult and unpopular task, and Grant accepted Gen Robert E. Lee's surrender at Appomattox Court House in April of 1865, ending the Civil War. These two men remained loyal to each other throughout their lives:

Gen Ulysses S. Grant
“The friend in my adversity I shall always cherish most. I can better trust those who helped to relieve the gloom of my dark hours than those who are so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity.” – US Grant

Gen Wm. T. Sherman
“Grant stood by me when I was crazy, and I stood by him when he was drunk, and now we stand by each other.” – Gen Wm Sherman

I am reminded of another general, in a land far from the battlefields of Tennessee, Virginia and South Carolina, from a time long before. His name was Moroni, and you are all familiar with his struggle against the armies of Lamanites and disloyal Nephites. Like General Grant nearly 2,000 year later, he said, “I seek not for power, but to pull it down. I seek not for honor of the world, but for the glory of my God, and the freedom and welfare of my country.”

Loyalty is a noble characteristic. As you get older, you will confront some serious choices. When you are faced with a difficult choice, ask yourself, “How will this choice demonstrate my loyalty to my friends, my family, my nation, my Church and my God?” Let it be said of you that you chose to be loyal, like Generals Grant, Sherman and Moroni.

Prepared. | For Life.™

No comments: