Thursday, September 5, 2013

Not my job.

From an email to parents, a bit of an attempt to reemphasize the idea that Scouts, not Scoutmasters, are responsible for Scouting (it included a personalized 'requirements remaining' sheet for each Scout):
I want to restate that one of my objectives is for the Scouts to take responsibility for their Scouting. By that I mean that each boy needs to be responsible for understanding what the requirements are, and keep track of his own progress in his Scout book. Rank advancement is an individual process, but I feel that it can be a great way to teach self-accountability; it's not the 'why,' but it is one of the 'hows.'  I maintain a spreadsheet of the Scouts' progress, but the whole idea behind Scouting is to help build up responsible young men and women.
An oldie, but a goodie.

Prepared. | For Life.™

No comments: