Thursday, October 17, 2013

A valid question

Someone on Google+ asked, "Why did you sign up and become an Adult Leader within the Boy Scouts?" Here some of the answers:
  • We went to a Cuboree and loved it. I knew I wanted to be part of it!
  • To pass on a legacy of service, adventure, learning, leadership, and stewardship to my sons.
  • Because I wanted to do it with my son, and there was also no other leaders to do it....
  • I signed up as a Tiger Den Leader so I could do something with my son. It turned into being a lot of fun. As I got deeper into Scouting and learning I realized that not only am I doing it for him, I am doing it for all the boys. Now, I am working to help Scouts learn life skills while having fun and become better people and to realize it's not all about them, but being a service for others.
  • My son's pack fell into my lap, no Cubmaster, no CC. I took CC my husband took Cubmaster. That was 7? Years ago. It is hard but it is well worth it.
  • My father was my Den Leader, Cubmaster and Troop Treasurer before he went on to District. It's kind of the family business.
  • My son wanted to join cubs, so I took him to the meeting. The next week my wife took him. I thought, "this won't be bad, us taking turns."
    She came home and said "They wanted a tiger leader for Zach's group so I signed you up."
    Best decision she ever made.
    I've never regretted it. 
  • I earned my Eagle and was active as youth right up to my 21st birthday.  After a few years away, I realized I missed the program and felt like I could give something back.  I joined up with a unit that some friend's from church were a part of.  That was 10 years ago, and I'm still going strong.

I thought of responding that, like most Mormon Scouters, I was pressed into service (nudge nudge, wink wink). However, in the years since that, I have volunteered to stay on because I enjoy the work, warts and all; I even volunteered to go to Wood Badge. I like working with the Youth and watching them learn and grow. In the short year I have with each of them, most grow up quite a bit, and have accomplished not a few big challenges. That makes it worthwhile.


Prepared. | For Life.™

No comments: