Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Century of Honor

The takeaway from last night's Century of Honor celebration, at least for me, is that Scouting is the antidote to the deficiency of discussion of words like Duty and Honor. As Church programs go, it was on the level you'd expect from LDS pageantry: lots of singing and uplifting stuff, but counter to form, no dancing. And what an entrance for our nation's colors! Rappelled in from the ceiling!  I fully expect to see President Uchdorf rappel in for his next General Conference Priesthood address.  And Elder Beck to use that zip line!  I was especially gratified to see the invocation delivered by the Reverend R. Chip Turner, of the Baptist Scouting body (I forget the official title/office), a reminder that Scouting is universal.

I took my two boys with me. We stopped at the mall food court first (ran into my WB Troop Guide there), where M (newly-minted Bobcat) had a slice of pizza, and B (Star) had his first gyro, before making our way to the Conference Center, finding our seats and meeting up with the other three from our ward's contingent. It was an inspiration, although I did sense the irreverent side of me rising up a couple of times; I did my best to keep that in check.  Ordinarily, I don't go for this kind of pageantry, but this time it worked.  Mostly, because it was simply telling Scouting's story, and why it continues to be one of the best programs for teaching young men how and why to do their duty.

At the official website (link above) you can stream the entire program, and there's a counter that at last check topped 1,183,140+ who checked in by text message (I did so three times, to account for my two sons).  One of the highlights was the sing-along extolling moms: "Ma you earned your eagle, but they gave the badge to me!" (guilty, and thanks, Mom - at about minute 28 of the broadcast above).  Overall, I think it did a great job of telling Scouting's story, and getting down to brass tacks as to why Scouting matters, without going (too) over-the-top.


Waiting for the show to start with my sons B (Star) & M (Bobcat)

The Conference Center crowd

The evening's program. Download a pdf of it.

Me and my boys. Yes, he's 13. Yes, he's taller than I am.


Prepared. | For Life.™

2 comments:

Tory said...

What a great opportunity to take your boys with you to see it live!

I absolutely loved the program. It made me wish I was a boy again.

I especially appreciated that it was performed almost totally by youth. That's the way it ought to be.

Eric the Half-bee said...

That's what I thought too. The thought also crossed my mind, with a state-of-the-art leadership training facility at the Summit named for Pres. Monson, will we see more of our youth and adult leaders receiving leadership training?