Monday, November 11, 2013

Marching to a different cadence

Something bothers me about the Pledge of Allegiance. It's how we continue (even as grown-ups!) to recite it as if we're all still in first grade, three words at a time:

Vietnam Veterans' Memorial,
Washington DC
©2012 Eric Larson
I pledge allegiance
To the flag
Of the United States of America
And to the Republic
For which it stands
One nation
Under God
Indivisible
With liberty
and justice for all

See? Choppy and infantile. And dare I say, even rote and meaningless. Why not re-teach our Scouts to use complete phrases, or even sentences:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America,
And to the Republic for which it stands:
One nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

It's just a thought.

Shake a Veteran's hand today.


Prepared. | For Life.™

1 comment:

Fishgutts said...

I am going to have my boys do this! Great idea!!

PS - Thanks for your service to our country!