Monday, January 27, 2014

Birds are awesome

I liked to take my Scouts to the Farmington Bay Waterfowl Management Area each winter to go eagle spotting. I think we went at the wrong time each year, because we never really saw the large numbers of bald eagles that are said to winter on the Great Salt Lake, though that could have been the fog. FBWMA is a freshwater reclamation area, and the eagles love the (nasty) carp that infest the water. I decided to try my luck again this past weekend, Scouts or no Scouts, and got almost entirely skunked as far as eagle are concerned. There were only a handful, and none let me get within a quarter mile before taking flight. After the last one left, it was time to call it a day. And while driving back up the road I spotted a lone, large bird in one of the few trees in the area, so I pulled over to see if I could squeeze off a few shots. With my camera, silly. It turned out to be a red-tail hawk, and he gave me my best photo op of the day.

Do you think birds know how amazingly cool they are, 
or do they just take it for granted?

Red Tail Hawk at Farmington Bay Waterfowl Management Area, UT
Here are a couple of shots of eagles 
from another excursion a couple of years ago:
Juvenile eagle fly-by
Looking for carp

Prepared. | For Life.™

No comments: