Friday, May 12, 2017

Church to drop Varsity, Venturing

Yesterday, the LDS Church announced that effective January 1, 2018, it would no longer participate in Varsity Scouting and Venturing. I've had a day to think about it, and I think it's a sad acknowledgement that no amount of prompting, goading or prodding will ever change the status quo. I'm not going to go into any detail, or offer any explanations for it *cough cough training cough cough*; that can be found in these pages and in other places. I will, however, rewrite the headline so as to explain exactly what has happened and why:

Authorities Amputate Aaron's Atrophied Activity Arm;
Aaron Oblivious

Seriously, 95% of boys will not notice that anything has happened. Which is why this has happened.  This is sad.  I wish them luck in the new program that looks a lot like the old program, but without any of the resources they used to have.

One final comment, and then I am done with this soapbox: One of the points brought out in the press release is the disparity in budget and resources between YM and YW programs - something I have mentioned once or twice here. Parity will now be achieved, not by providing more resources to those who have been consistently short-changed, but by taking the resources of those who had, but failed to use, them. Sounds like the parable of the talents has taken effect. (And yes, I recognize that the budget for merit badges alone is immense, and that's not going away. Yet.)

Prepared. | For Life.™

No comments: